This article discusses creating and managing categories for your videos.
In this article:
- What are categories?
- Create a category
- General settings
- Add content to a category
- Distribution settings
- Discovery settings
- Content organization best practices
What are categories?
Categories are groups of videos, events, collections, and buy/rent products. Categories allow you to organize all of your content, similar to parent folders in a filing system. For example, you could make a category for every genre of your content that's available.
Create a category
To create a category:
- Navigate to Content > Categories.
- Click the + Add button next to the Categories section of the Content page or + New Category at the top of the page.
- A window will then prompt you for the category title. Create a title, then click Add.
After creating your category, you'll be brought to the category's settings page, starting with the General settings. Here, you can modify the category title, as well as add a Short description, a Full description, and a Thumbnail.
Add content to a category
The Content tab will allow you to add videos, events, collections, and buy/rent products to your new category.
- Click Add content.
- A modal window will open. Select from your existing videos, live events, collections, and products, then click Add.
- Alternatively, you can upload new videos from the content tab.
The Distribution tab allows you to control how your category is distributed and discovered across your platform. Settings you can configure here are:
- You’ll be able to set its visibility to Published or Private.
- You can also geo-block your category to make it available or unavailable in certain regions. The default option is Worldwide, but if you select Choose countries, you’ll need to specify which countries, and whether you’d like to limit your collection to only those countries, or if you’d like to prevent people in those countries from watching.
- You can replace the category ID in your category's URL with a custom URL specified here.
The Discovery tab is for adding information about your category to make it more discoverable for search results. You can:
- Designate the category to be your Featured category, pinning it to the top of the Browse page of your site and apps. This will add it to your featured carousel.
- Add Tags to your category
- Add a Media ID to your category
- Add Advanced metadata (only applicable if you are using our API for data)
- Add Image metadata for images you upload
- Add Custom metadata.
Click Save once you’ve made all your changes.
Content organization best practices
Watch the video below to learn some tips for organizing your content.