⚠️Note: Webhooks only work for subscription products; they are not currently supported for transactional (buy/rent) products.
In this article:
- Webinar: How to configure webhooks
- What are webhooks?
- How do I add a webhook to my OTT site?
- How do I create a webhook on Zapier?
Webinar: How to configure webhooks
What are webhooks?
Webhooks are scripts that allow you to be notified when an event has occurred in the lifecycle of any of your subscription customers. Using this information, you can do things like trigger emails, re-marketing, or other tactics to help further engage these customers. Implementing a Webhook on your OTT site (either through a script you’ve designed or a service such as Zapier), enables you to receive information when any of the following happens:
|Event Description||Topic Name|
|Customer is created (mailing list signup)||customer.created|
|Customer is added to a product (transaction involved)||customer.product.created|
|Customer is updated||customer.updated|
|Customer cancels their subscription||customer.product.cancelled|
|Customer pauses their subscription||customer.product.paused|
|Customer renews their subscription||customer.product.renewed|
|Customer has a failed credit card charge||customer.product.charge_failed|
|Customer's payment method has expired||customer.product.expired|
|Customer has been disabled||customer.product.disabled|
|Customer starts a free trial||customer.product.free_trial_created|
|Customer is removed from a Product||customer.product.deleted|
|Customer sets their subscription to be canceled||customer.product.set_cancellation|
|Customer undoes setting subscription to be canceled||customer.product.undo_set_cancellation|
|Customer set subscription to be paused||customer.product.set_paused|
|Customer undoes setting their subscription to be paused||customer.product.undo_set_paused|
How do I add a webhook to my Vimeo OTT site?
Grab the webhook URL from your service of choice. In the Vimeo OTT admin, go to Settings > Site > Advanced. Paste the URL in the Webhook URLs section:
Be sure to Save your settings.
How do I create a Vimeo OTT webhook on Zapier (as a Seller)?
- Sign up for an account on Zapier.com. Keep in mind that a free Zapier plan allows for one trigger and a single action, as well as a limited number of tasks per month. If you intend to have multiple triggers and actions, consider a paid plan.
- Connect the accounts where you want the data to ultimately end up.
- e.g. If you want subscribers from Vimeo OTT to go into your MailChimp account, connect your MailChimp to Zapier.
- From here, you should follow Zapier's instructions on triggering a Zap with a Webhook.
- Choose Catch a hook.
- The Pick off a Child Key step should be skipped. This will allow all information to pass through from Vimeo OTT to Zapier.
- Zapier will provide a webhook URL. Copy this URL and add to the webhooks section of your settings page to add to your site.
- Once you've done this any new customers data should be sent to your service of choice.