IN THIS ARTICLE:
- How do I upload videos to Vimeo OTT?
- What's the transcoding process like after the video is uploaded?
- Are my uploaded videos private?
- How do I edit video settings, preview it, set access, & view stats?
Uploading video content to Vimeo OTT is simple! You’ll see the Videos tab under Content at the top of your Admin. All of your video content gets uploaded here.
Our pricing depends on how many hours of video you upload to Vimeo OTT. The breakdown looks like this:
- Uploading < 1 hour = FREE
- Uploading < 10 hours = $99
- Uploading < 25 hours = $149
- Uploading < 50 hours = $199
These hours are pay-as-you-go and never expire, so any additional purchases are added to the hours of video you’ve already paid for. More information here.
- Before uploading, please compress your video content to our recommended compression settings.
- From your Vimeo OTT Admin page, navigate to Content > Videos.
- Click the Upload Videos button on the Videos page.
- You will be taken to the Upload page, where you can drag and drop videos from your computer to upload or select your preferred method of uploading:
- Computer - Select and upload the file from your computer. This uploader is resumable, meaning you can leave the page, come back to it later and continue the process later.
- Dropbox - Connect your Dropbox Pro account, and seamlessly grab the files from there.
You can batch upload multiple videos at once by dragging & dropping the batch into the uploader.
- Once the file is selected or dragged into the window, it will begin uploading. You can track its progress on the Videos page.
- Once the video is uploaded, it will begin the transcoding process. You can also track that progress on the Videos page.
- You will be emailed when the video is finished processing and can then add it to a Subscription Collection or a Purchase/Rental Product.
⚠️Note: Batch uploading directly from your computer has a limit of 30GB at a time, and batch uploading from our Dropbox integration has a limit of 50GB at a time.
What is the transcoding process?
Once your film is uploaded, we transcode it to the proper sizes and formats for streaming and downloading (depending on your master file):
|1080p MP4 download||Source file must have a resolution of at least 1920x1080|
|720p MP4 download||Source file must have a resolution of at least 1280x720|
|540p MP4 download||Always created|
|360p MP4 download||Always created|
|Adaptive streaming file||Always created|
⚠️Note: Deleting videos does NOT grant you more upload hours. Also, if you replace a video, it does take away from the overall hours' allotment, since it begins transcoding immediately. We recommend that you make sure you have the final version ready to go before uploading. More information here.
Are my uploaded videos private?
How do I edit video settings, preview the video, set access, & view stats?
Once your video is uploaded and transcoded, you can edit the following settings by clicking the video on the Videos page.
The navigation will be on the left side, starting with the General menu. In this menu you’ll find the following:
- Preview - You can view your uploaded video by clicking the play button on the video.
- Title - What is this video called? Title it!
- Description - Describe the video for your customers. There are two descriptions, the short description and the full description. The short description is visible only when the video shows up in the featured carousel; the full description is the description that shows up when you hover over the thumbnail or when you click on the video itself.
- Note: You can paste URLs to other websites in the video's full description, which your viewers can then click on to navigate to that site.
- Primary Thumbnail - You can replace the Thumbnail image for the video. We auto-generate one for you when you transcode the video as well.
- Additional thumbnails - While we automatically generate different resolutions out of your primary thumbnail, you can also upload custom thumbnails for different uses.
- Replace Upload - Need to replace the video file? Click the Replace Upload button to re-upload! Note: Current video viewing will not be interrupted during the upload process.
Next is the Distribution menu, which allows you to configure how your video is distributed and discovered with the following options:
- Plans (Subscription products only) - If you are selling subscriptions, you can control if you want this video to be available for free or only accessible to paying subscribers here.
- Additional Collections (Subscription products only) - If you have multiple collections, you can choose which ones your video appears in by clicking the + icon to the right.
- Categories (Subscription products only) - Curate your content into categories such as trailers, full episodes, etc.
- Regions - Want to control who can see your video by country? Set that here.
- Publish - You can either publish your video immediately or set a date and time for it be available.
- Subtitles and captions - Upload subtitle files (SRT or VTT) for your international audience.
- Custom URL - By default, the custom URL for this video will come from the video’s title, but you can give it a different URL slug here if you wish.
- Enable comments - Customers can leave comments on your videos by default, but you can disable those here.
- Screeners - Need to send a secure video screener of this video to someone? Just click the button to quickly do so! Here's more info: Sending Screeners.
- Download - You can download the downloadable versions of the video files here.
Discovery is the third menu which allows you to make it easier for viewers to find your content via search or other parameters:
- Tags - You can specify tags that help describe your content. This should be thought of differently than a Category, as this describes the specific video.
- Genres - You can specify particular Genres that the content belongs to from a specific list that we provide. This list is not exhaustive by any means! There are thousands of genres to describe your work but by selecting from a shorter list, we can more easily group your content and help Customers find similar works. Note, you are encouraged to add your Content to as many Categories as you’d like!
- Cast - You may specify the cast and the parts they portrayed here. Simply input the person’s real name and the role they played! This can help your customers find other content that they appeared in.
- Crew - You may credit the crew and the roles they performed. Simply input the person’s name and the role they performed. This can help your customers find other content that the crew was involved in.
- Release date - You may specify a release date for your content. Additionally, there is a “Country” field where you may specify the location related to that release date. For instance, if your work was released on January 5th in Australia and February 20th in Germany, you can specify each release date. If a Country is provided, we will show that release date to Customers in that region. If a Country is not provided, the release date will indicate a worldwide release.
- Rating - You may specify a Rating for your content. Additionally, there is a “Country” field where you may specify the location related to that particular rating. For instance, if your film was Rated R in the United States but Rated “15” in Europe, you could specify each. If a Country is provided, we will show that rating to Customers in that region. If a Country is not provided, the rating will indicate a worldwide rating.
- Advisory - You can provide an advisory to warn your viewers if your video contains potentially offending content such as language, violence, or nudity. Similar to Rating, there is a “Country” field where you may specify the location related to that particular Advisory.
- License - You may specify if this is Original Content or Licensed Content.
- Media ID - You may specify a Media ID for your content. This is generally an internal identifier.
- Media Type - Set this as “Movie”, “Episode”, “Sporting Event” or other to define what kind of media you are providing
- Advanced metadata - If you are using API you can pair a key with either image metadata or custom metadata.
Finally, Stats is where you can track specific data about your video, including:
- Playback - Number of times the video played, was finished, and the completion percentage (how many people watched at least 90%)
- Platforms - What platform types are the most popular (iOS, Web, Android, Roku, etc.)
- Regions - Learn where, geographically, you have the most viewers.