There are two ways your customers can log into your site:
- Using an email address and password combination
- Receiving a login link to their email
In this article:
- What is the new login process like?
- What is the reset password process like?
- Do you have to use the password login option?
- What if my site didn't require passwords before they were enabled by default?
- What about passwords in apps?
- Is there a password setup in the Vimeo OTT (VHX) API?
What is the new login process like?
- An existing customer lands on the login page from your homepage or Browse Content page:
- They enter their account email address and select Next
- They are taken to the page to enter their password OR they can choose to receive a login link via email instead (the current login process).
- If they enter their correct password, they'll be taken to browse to watch your content.
- If they choose to get a sign in link emailed, they'll see this screen next:
NOTE: If someone does not have an active account, they will not be sent a login link email. Sometimes a user has forgotten the email associated with their account and will need to try logging in with a different email.
What is the reset password process like?
Here's a breakdown:
- If they have forgotten or have not set a password and are logged out, they should visit the login page of your site
- Enter their account email address and click Next.
- Then under the password field, click Reset your password.
- On the next page, they will confirm their email address and select Reset password.
- If there is an active account under that address, we will email it a link to reset the password. If there is not an account, no email will be sent. Sometimes a user has forgotten the email associated with their account and will need to try logging in with a different email.
Do you have to use the password login option?
The customer has the choice to use either the password login or the password-less email version. See the steps above.
What if my site didn't require passwords before they were enabled by default?
When your customers visit the site the next time they want to watch videos, they'll see this banner at the top of the page to set their new password:
What about passwords in apps?:
- Is password support going to be enabled for my branded apps?
Password support is live for all apps except for Xbox.
- Once password functionality is enabled on the apps, does that replace the activation process?
TV branded apps (Roku, Apple TV, AndroidTV, & Amazon Fire TV) do not require a password to sign in; users will continue to activate their devices through the standard pairing process.
- Will subscribers who have subscribed through their Roku, Google, Apple, and Amazon accounts be able to login using a password?
Yes, they will also see the password creation button when they log in and can set a password as well.
Is there a password setup in the Vimeo OTT API?
Yes, customers can have their password via the OTT API. Please see our developer documentation for more on this.