In this article:
What are subscription promos?
Promos allow you to offer a time-limited discount to help attract new customers or keep existing subscribers. You can also use promos to give monthly subscribers up to 100% off, allowing you to offer temporary free access to your content such as a subscriber at risk of churning or to win back a recently churned customer.
How do I create a promo for my subscription product?
- Before creating a promo, you will need an available subscription product with videos within a Collection. Promo codes can only be applied to monthly subscriptions, therefore only work if your subscription product includes a monthly option.
- Within the Vimeo OTT Admin, go to your Products page.
- Click on the drop-down for your Subscription product and click Create promo.
- The Promos page will load. Click Create Promo and the Create promo panel will open.
- Name your Promo - This is just for your information and is only visible on the Promos page.
- Enter a quantity - How many subscribers should be allowed to use this code?
- If a buyer attempts to use a promo code after the maximum amount have been claimed, they will see a "Code expired" message at checkout.
- Enter your code - The naming convention is up to you. You choose what the code is (Tip: shorter codes are usually easier to remember). There is a maximum length of 20 characters.
- NOTE: Promo codes must be alphanumeric and cannot contain special characters.
- Choose the discount - You can set 10%, 25%, 33%, 50%, 66%, 75%, or 100% off.
- Set the duration - Should this monthly discount be applied to 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, or 12 months?
- Set start & end dates - When should this code be live? When should it end? End dates are optional, and the code will end when the quantity runs out if an end date is not set.
- Set who is eligible to redeem the promo - Choose if you want this promo code to only work for new customers, existing subscribers, or both. Enter the following information, then click Create Promo after you're finished:
- After you have created a promo, you can click the actions dropdown on it to see options for sharing/editing:
- Edit - Click this to edit your promo's settings and the window will slide out.
- Promote on Homepage - Click this to feature the promo on your website so that anyone who lands on your homepage will know about the discount. Warning: as soon as you select the promo in this drop-down, it will appear on the homepage of your Vimeo OTT site. To disable, open the drop-down and select Remove from homepage.
- Copy promo URL - If you don't want to promote it to everyone, you can simply click the "Copy promo URL" and share that link with a select audience. This is also a good way to test it out yourself before making it live.
- Copy redemption URL - Use this if you want to send people directly to checkout with the code applied already. We have found in past experiences that the promo URL will be more effective at converting people but figured it'd be handy for you to have both.
- Deactivate - Click this anytime on an active Promo to disable it immediately.