IN THIS ARTICLE:
- What are rentals?
- How do I enable rentals on my current Products?
- How do I create a new rental Product?
What are rentals?
Think about the classic video store experience: rent videos for a limited amount of time, at a lower price point. Now you can offer your own digital rentals as another option for customers to watch your videos. All rented videos are streaming-only, meaning a customer cannot download the video file.
How long do rentals last for a customer?
After a customer starts watching a rental, they must finish it within their rental period. You can choose a rental period of 3, 7, 14, 30, 60, 90, or 365 days. During their rental period, customers have total access to stream the content as many times as they like.
You can change the rental period at any time. The changes will apply to future rentals and would not impact active rentals.
Note: The customers have 30 days to start watching their rentals, and then the amount of time they have configured to finish watching the rentals before it expires.
How much should I charge for rentals?
That's ultimately up to you. Since rentals don't include a download version of the video, try cutting your full purchase price in half for rentals. So, if you're charging $7.99 for your movie with downloads, try $3.99.
How do I enable rentals on my current products?
You can enable rentals on any Product that is NOT in pre-order mode.
- In the Products section, select the Product you want to update.
- Navigate to the Pricing section of the edited Product.
- Under the Rental Price field, click the checkbox button to activate rentals, enter your rental price and choose a rental period.
- Click Save to enable rentals on the Product.
How do I create a new rental product?
For instructions on how to create a new rental product, please see our Guide to Creating a Purchase or Rental Product.