You can use Vimeo OTT as your main domain (yoursite.com) or as a subdomain (watch.yoursite.com).
Please note, you’ll need to notify the Technical Support Team for the changes to take effect, so we recommend doing this in the hours of 9-5 EST Monday-Friday so that we can be available to update the settings once you've begun.
Step 1: Registering a Domain
- There are multiple services available for registering a domain, but some of the most popular are GoDaddy, MediaTemple, and AWS
Step 2: Set-Up the Domain
- Once the domain is registered, DNS modifications need to be made to point the domain to Vimeo OTT.
Step 3: Set the A Record
(For WWW subdomains only. If you are using any other subdomain, skip this step)
- Usually denoted with an ‘@’ symbol, this record should point to 126.96.36.199.
- This will automatically add ‘www.’ if a user types in your domain without it.
Step 4: Save changes in OTT settings page
Next, head to your Vimeo OTT settings page. Scroll down to the Custom Domain box and enter the site address (note use http:// instead of https:// for this). Click Test Domain to verify all looks good. If it does, click Save.
Step 5: Alert The Technical Support Team
When step 4 is completed, reach out to us here as soon as possible. Our Technical Support team will toggle a system-level flag to enable the new custom domain with an enabled SSL certificate. Your site will be down until we've performed this step.
You'll hear back from us with a response when this has been done. When complete, you'll see that your entire website will be under your custom domain or subdomain."
If the above is confusing, we've tracked down relevant instructions for various providers below.
- I don't know where I registered!
- I know where I registered, but it's not one of the places above!
You may have to wait anywhere from one hour to 48 hours for the subdomain to activate. Unfortunately, this is a standard waiting period for subdomains, but it likely won't take the maximum amount of time.
There are a lot of domain registrars out there and we can't supply specific instructions for them all unfortunately. The general idea is that you want to insert a new CNAME that points your desired subdomain name ("watch", "buy", etc) to the domain dns.vimeo.tv. Once that is in place, you can then go to your Vimeo OTT Dashboard and insert the new subdomain name into your settings page.